It’s a great time to improve your dental habits during National Oral Health Month! Our team at Premier Dental Center in Boerne is excited about spreading the ‘dos’ and the ‘do nots’ of dental disease prevention. This year, over 50,000 people are expected to be diagnosed with a form of oral cancer. The scariest part of this statistic is that most of these people were probably unaware they had any dental issues until it was too late. Don’t let that be you! Here are our tips for staying healthy and staying on top of your dental game.
The Best and the Simplest
Oftentimes, the best things we can do for our health are the simplest! For instance, we can improve heart health by simply walking 30 minutes every day. Or, we can lose 10 – 20 pounds in a year just by eliminating soda from our diet. These simple changes or habits apply to our dental health as well. Here are some simple things you should be doing . . . and if you aren’t, you need to start!
- Brush Daily. It isn’t enough to just brush daily, however. Dentists recommend you brush twice every day for at least two minutes each time.
- Add Fluoride. The cost is usually the same but the difference is huge. Making sure your toothpaste includes fluoride in the ingredients is a great way to help strengthen your teeth and protect your enamel.
- Floss. You don’t have to make a big event of flossing. You can carry floss around in your car, or your purse, or leave it somewhere handy like on your nightstand. Flossing takes just a minute but can dramatically decrease your chances of cavities.
You Won’t Even Miss It
We can do a lot of damage to our dental health through our lifestyles. The sad thing is that these unhealthy habits are things that once you break them – you probably won’t even miss! Here are some things you should reconsider if you want to improve your teeth and avoid oral disease down the road.
- Tobacco. Smoking or chewing tobacco is one of the, if not the, worst thing you can do for your health. Not only does it lead to lung cancer and heart disease, but it is also the number one cause of oral cancers! Cut out the tobacco and you will see huge improvements in your health all throughout your body.
- Sugar. We mentioned above that you can lose 10 to 20 pounds in a year just by cutting out the soda, but you can lose so much more! By eliminating sugar, you will lose out on frequent cavities, severe tooth decay, and increased sensitivity. Not to mention, sugar causes gum inflammation which can lead to gingivitis.
Take a Trip to the Dentist
Not just once – but twice! Visiting your dentist twice every year is the absolute best thing you can do for oral health. By committing to prevention, you can avoid many devastating diseases down the road. If you are a new patient, you can get your first exam, cleaning, and set of x-rays for just $59! So, schedule a visit with us today, and let’s get you on the right track for dental health.